2. Authority and Functions
- 2.1 The board shall have general organizational, promotional and supervisory powers over all activities of the church during the interim between general conference sessions. It shall meet regularly, at times to be determined by the board, but no less than once in each 12-month period. A majority of the members elected shall constitute a quorum.
- 2.2 The board shall constitute the members of the corporation of The Free Methodist Church in Canada.
- 2.3 If the office of bishop becomes vacant for any reason, a new bishop shall be elected, except for vacancies occurring in the last six months preceding a general conference. The election shall be conducted according to the procedures outlined in ¶860.
- 2.4 The board shall have the responsibility to determine the number of senior staff (national leadership team members) to be employed by the corporation, and to define the general duties and responsibilities of these positions in consultation with the bishop. The bishop will create a hiring task force, which must include at least one member of the board and one member of MEGaP. This task force will be responsible for the process from job posting to recommendation of a candidate to the board for approval.
- 2.5 The board shall publish annually an audited financial statement outlining the assets, liabilities, and financial standing of the corporation of The Free Methodist Church in Canada.
- 2.6 The board shall have the power to accept resignations, fill vacancies and remove for cause any of its members or any denominational executive (not including the bishop) during the interim between general conference sessions, subject to other sections of The Manual.
- 2.7 The board shall have the power to declare that a local society ceases to exist if the society does not have the personnel and financial resources needed to carry out an effective ministry plan, or is unable to elect an official board and trustees. The board shall also have the authority to declare any local or national church property surplus. It may authorize the management committee to take control of the title to the real and personal surplus properties and to transfer the title to the Corporation. It may direct the management committee to sell or otherwise dispose of such property. The proceeds of such sale may be used as directed by the board, provided they are first applied to clearing any remaining debts of the former society.
- 2.8 The board shall be involved in the discipline of lay and ministerial members and congregations as provided for in chapter nine of this Manual.
- 2.9 The board may approve Letters of Agreement with the board of administration of The Free Methodist Church of North America and the Department of World Missions as needed to advance the ministries of The Free Methodist Church in Canada. As the Corporation of The Free Methodist Church in Canada, the board may approve any legal agreements with other organizations or affiliated Free Methodist organizations as necessary to further the interests of the church.