This is my first installment of the new series of Bishop’s Notes – ‘CliffsNotes’. That’s thanks to Ben from Arlington Woods who came up with the idea and logo. For those my age and older “CliffsNotes” is the American version of “Coles’ Notes” – what some of you read in high school instead of actually reading “Pride and Prejudice”!).
I personally appreciated Bishop Keith sending out information about the churches he visited along with pictures, info about churches and pastors in transitions, and new appointments – so I’m inclined to stay the course. If you have any other suggestions about this weekly communication please send me a note or call me. There are already lots of suggestions floating around…
Week One (sorry that I missed last week – computer was in the shop!):
- During my first two days on the job I visited and spent some time getting to know our support staff: a wonderful team that loves Jesus. Over and over I heard the genuine commitment and love they have for our movement. Our staff includes individuals who worship in Catholic, Pentecostal, and other churches. There were even a few FM’ers in the mix.
- I visited the New Leaf Church Planters’ training event June 3rd. Besides FM’ers, there were Salvation Army leaders, CRC, Baptist, and others that attended the event all of them trying to figure out how to reach their community. I even met a couple exploring a church plant for “Geeks”!
- I also attended the Heart of Free Methodism course lead by Matthew McEwen at Holt FMC. I loved hearing the stories around the room about how God was leading and clarifying vision.
- Then I was off to enjoy a service at Una FM in Kitchener. The worship was dynamic and an artist created a beautiful worshipful painting during the service. They are a friendly warm church family. I was very pleased to learn that Una has been in a season of prayer as the board explores what it means to accept responsibility for their community. After the service the Board and I ate.
- This past weekend I visited Grapeview in St. Catharines. This is a loving church family that is blessed to look like a gathering in heaven: peoples from around the world meeting together to worship God and figure out what it is to love and serve their area. The worship team was all from Ghana! And after service, we ate!
- This past Sunday afternoon John-Mark Cockram (worship leader at GC) was ordained at Kingsview FM. It was fittingly very warm in the sanctuary – I say “fittingly” because J-M entered into full time ministry as a missionary in Ghana where it is very hot! It was a special time. And after the service, we all ate!
The pictures from my visit to Una and John-Mark’s ordination will be posted in the photo gallery shortly. A listserv message will be sent when they have been uploaded.
As I consider all these experiences I feel grateful for who we are: Free, Catholic in spirit, prayerful, creative, eager to ask big questions, try new things and We Eat!
We have the opportunity to be a part of mobilizing the larger Body of Christ in Canada. We are deeply concerned with the empowering, stirring, and leading of the Holy Spirit. We are friends – brothers and sisters in Christ trying to figure out what it means to be family.
I was reminded of all this and its only week one…
• The Little Big Picture Blog: A Co-operative Dream in the Dominican Republic: https://fmcic.ca/14279/
• Church Health Blog: Would God Give a Thumbs Up to Our Facebook Pages?: https://fmcic.ca/would-god-give-a-thumbs-up-to-our-facebook-pages/New
• the conneXion – a Free Methodist theology blog: 3 Minute Theology 2.5: Knowing the Bible Inside Out: https://fmcic.ca/3-minute-theology-2-5-knowing-the-bible-inside-out/
• New Leaf Podcast: Hip-Hop Culture Church Planting in Calgary:https://www.newleafnetwork.ca/podcast/ep-43-hip-hop-culture-church-planting-calgary-preston-pouteaux-rhoadi-nagassar/ New
• Faith and Finances Website: http://faithandfinances.ca
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FMCIC
•The National Ministry Centre Team video: https://fmcic.ca/portfolio-item/the-national-ministry-centre-team-who-we-are-what-we-do/
• LifePlan Study Team Files
2017 ORDINATION ANNIVERSARIES
|10 years||25 years||30 years||35 years||40 years||45 years||50 years||55 years|
|Hilkka Aavasalmi||Brian Eschbach||Glen Coates||Doug Wightman||Floyd Babcock||Sheldon Carlson||David Ashton||Frederick Gordon|
|Mary Lee DeWitt||Barry Smith||Robert Lay||David Howick||David Panton|
|Jennifer Donnell||Brenda Tursa||Steve Lougheed||John Vlainic|
The next deadline is October 15, 2017 to apply for both the Leadership Scholarship Plan (LSP) for the summer and fall semesters of 2017, and for the Special Scholarships. More information is available at this link: https://fmcic.ca/scholarships/
Heart of Canadian Free Methodism:
30 juin – 2 juillet 2017 – Le cœur du Méthodisme libre Canadien À l’Église Méthodiste Libre de St-Henri, 3453 Notre-Dame Ouest, Montréal, QC
Nov 3-5, 2017 in Ontario*
Nov 3-5, 2017 in western Canada*
(also available online through FMC-USA: http://fmcusa.org/leadership/courses/)
Personal and Church Stewardship
6-week online course – start date TBA
Culture and the Missional Church:
Date and Location TBA
(*these locations will be selected based on where the majority of the participants reside – so please register early!)Registration is online for all courses at this link: https://fmcic.ca/foundational-courses/ and now includes PayPal or credit card payment options. Those tracking for credentialed ministry should take the Heart course first and then Wesleyan Theology if possible.
Rev. Trevor Swanson – appointment changed from “Transition Pastor” to “Lead Pastor” at Mewassin FMC, Duffield, AB, effective May 18, 2017
Pastor Kathleen Casement – approved as Ministerial Candidate and appointed as Lead Pastor at Verona Free Methodist Church, Verona, ON, effective June 8, 2017.
Ordination and Commissioning Services Schedule
CHURCHES IN TRANSITION
Blue Mountain Community Church, Thornbury, ON
Dryden FMC, Dryden, ON
Pineview FMC, Cloyne, ON
Ryde Centennial FMC, Gravenhurst, ON
Smiths Falls FMC, Smiths Falls, ON
Trulls Rd FMC, Courtice, ON
Warkworth FMC, Warkworth, ON
Whitby FMC, Whitby, ON
Church Profiles available
(Contact Susan DePlanché at the Personnel office to request a church profile – [email protected])
Cornerstone FMC, Prince Albert, SK – Personnel Office receiving resumes until May 30
Frankford Community FMC, Frankford, ON – Personnel Office receiving resumes until June 20
Westdale Park FMC, Napanee, ON – Personnel Office receiving resumes until June 20
(If you are interested in seeing the profile for any of these churches, please contact Susan at the Director of Personnel office [[email protected]] and the profile will be emailed to you as soon as it becomes available.)
Caistor Centre FMC, Caistor Centre, ON (Mary Lee DeWitt-Transition Pastor)
Harrowsmith FMC, Harrowsmith, ON (Carl Bull – Transition Pastor)
Tabernacle de la Grace, Montreal QC
Functioning with approved local arrangements
Avonlea FMC, Avonlea SK
Campbell’s Bay FMC, Campbell’s Bay, QC (Orville White)
Church On The Hill, Orillia ON (Ousman Ali)
Cordova Mines FM Fellowship, Cordova Mines, ON
Eglise Chrétienne Méthodiste Libre de Le Gardeur, QC (Duplan Auguste Lython)
Enterprise FMC, Enterprise, ON
Killarney FMC, Killarney, MB (Raymond Riglin)
Markham FMC, ON (K.K. Leung)
Richmond Hill Chinese & English Churches, Richmond Hill, ON (K.K. Leung)
Roblin FMC, Roblin, MB (Heath Butler)
Surrey FMC, Surrey BC (Nathaniel Prakash)
theStory, Sarnia, ON
Timmins FMC, Timmins, ON (Lewis Byer)
Vennachar FMC, Vennachar, ON (Laurie Lemke)
Verona FMC, Verona, ON (Kathy Casement)
Wesley Chapel Japanese FM Church, Toronto, ON (Misa Mochinaga)
Wyevale FMC, Wyevale, ON
Yarker FMC, Yarker, ON (Ken Babcock)
PASTORS IN TRANSITION
Children and Youth Summer Worker 2017– Westdale park FM Church
Associate Pastor – Barrie FM Church
Pastor of Worship and Communication– Bramalea FM Church
In-Program Supervisor – Little Blessings Nursery School, Whitby, ON