I sure hope that you had a refreshing long weekend!
Today two important prayer opportunities that are time sensitive:
1. The Free Methodist Church in Sri Lanka will be in court this Thursday and we are praying for justice and resolution. They are eager to get out of the courts (and all the costs: time and money) and into the streets ministering. Please pray for God’s miraculous intervention and favour.
2. My very dear friend Grant Sigsworth sent this note along (below) to remind us of something very important that we should be praying right now (besides playing a key role in our joint ministry agreement with Haiti, Grant has been mobilizing his FMCIC church and many others into missions for many years):
“For every Canadian Free Methodist the Great Commission in Mark 16:15 – « Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation” — has become dramatically personalized. “All the world” is now close to the very doors of our homes and churches. In the Lord’s providence, people from many culture groups and religions are increasingly migrating to Canada – many from places where the Gospel’s proclamation is restricted, if not prohibited and persecuted. Here these newcomers can freely interact and develop friendships with Christ-followers. As the composition of Canadian society keeps changing, how are we as congregations and individual believers to react? Grumble, wring our hands and be fearful, stay detached and only reach out to persons who are “like us”? Or step up to Pray and Equip ourselves for inter-cultural ministry in our own communities?
Among religions in Canada, Islam now has the 2nd largest number of followers … and from now until June 14 they are observing Ramadan, a period marked by fasting during daytime hours, the increased offering of prayers for forgiveness of wrongs, the recitation of the Quran, and good deeds and charity. What better time for us to commit to pray that in our respective communities Christ be revealed to Muslims as their Saviour and Lord, and that His Spirit leads us into opportunities to be His vehicle to them. In the past 20 years or so more Muslims have come to Christ than at any time since Islam was founded (check out Garrison’s book “Wind in the House of Islam”). This period coincides with the 30 Days of Prayer for the Muslim World, an international movement since 1993 calling the church worldwide to deliberately learn about, fervently pray for and reach out to Muslims, especially during Ramadan. Those prayers are already being answered. Join in, as I Tim 2:1-4 admonishes.
- At www.salatomatic.com search to find any mosque near you, then enlist your Christian friends in praying that each of the imam and congregants there will meet Jesus-followers (maybe yourself) who show His love to them in practical ways that help open fruitful conversations about the truth of Christ’s divinity and why He came to earth.
- During the 30 days of Ramadan use Pray for the Muslim World Prayer Journal – downloadable at www.opendoorsusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/RamadanPrayerJournal.pdf .
- Acquire “BRIDGES: Christians Connecting with Muslims” – a six-session DVD series which explains the tenets of Islam, helps us see Muslims as Christ sees and loves them, and provides tools for reaching out to them. Excellent for a small group. Details at www.crescentproject.org/bridges.
- At http://cnmm.ca/Networks determine whether one of the 22 local networks across Canada of the Canadian Network of Ministries to Muslims is close to you and reach out.
- For help with any of the above, and other resources including additional ways to pray for Muslims, contact [email protected] (a CNMM associate).”
The Alberta Regional Gathering at Westpark Church of the Nazarene is taking place Saturday May 26, 2018. To register click here for the form: https://fmcic.ca/wp-content/uploads/Alberta-Registration-Form-2018.doc
The Barrie Regional Gathering at Barrie FM Church is taking place Tuesday, May 29, 2018. To register click here for the form: https://fmcic.ca/wp-content/uploads/Barrie-Registration-Form-2018.doc
The Sasketchewan Regional Gathering at Northview Community Church is taking place Saturday June 2, 2018. To register click here for the form: https://fmcic.ca/wp-content/uploads/Saskatchewan-Registration-Form-2018.doc
LOCATIONS & DATES
- ALBERTA @Westpark Church of the Nazarene, 3920 57th Ave. Red Deer, AB [Red Deer] May 26, 2018
- CENTRAL ONTARIO-NORTH @ Barrie FM Church [Ontario] – May 29, 2018 *NEW*
- SASKATCHEWAN @ Northview Community Church [Regina] June 2, 2018 *REVISED*
- CENTRAL ONTARIO- EAST GTA @ Wesley Chapel FM Church [Ontario] – June 16, 2018 *NEW*
- MANITOBA @ Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, 3550 Victoria Ave, Brandon, MB [Brandon] – June 23, 2018
Please see the website for more details – https://fmcic.ca/regional-gatherings-2018/
Church Health Thursdays – Church Growth: Listen. It’s a Ministry: https://fmcic.ca/listen-its-a-ministry/New
News & Stories Blog – Everyone Benefits from Internships: https://fmcic.ca/everyone-benfits-from-internships/
the conneXion – a Free Methodist theology blog: 3 Minute Theology 2.5: Knowing the Bible Inside Out: https://fmcic.ca/3-minute-theology-2-5-knowing-the-bible-inside-out/
New Leaf Podcast: Kevin Makins – Holy Shift: https://www.newleafnetwork.ca/podcast/ep-52-kevin-makins-holy-shift/ New
Faith and Finances Website: http://faithandfinances.ca
Do you know someone who would like to receive CliffsNotes? They can now sign up through the website at:https://fmcic.ca/cliffsnotes-signup/
Ordination and Commissioning Services Schedule
Cathleen Getchell, Kingston, Ontario – June 10, 2018 at Kingscourt FM Church, Kingston ON
Heart of Canadian Free Methodism:
June 1-3, 2018 at Hampton FM Church, Saskatoon, SK
June 1-3, 2018 at Holt FM Church, Mount Albert ON
(also available online through FMC-USA: http://fmcusa.org/leadership/courses/)
Théologie de Wesley
6 au 8 juillet 2018 à l’Église Méthodiste Libre de Rosemont, Montréal, QC
Personal and Church Stewardship
6-week online course – start date TBA
6-week online course (FRENCH) – Fall 2018
Culture and the Missional Church:
Next course Fall 2018 in Ontario – date and location TBA*
(*these locations will be selected based on where the majority of the participants reside – so please register early!)
Registration is online for all courses at this link: https://fmcic.ca/foundational-courses/. Those tracking for credentialed ministry should take the Heart course first and then Wesleyan Theology if possible.
The next deadline is October 15, 2018 to apply for the Leadership Scholarship Plan (LSP) for courses taken during both the spring/summer and fall semesters of 2018.
October 15 is also the deadline to apply for the annual Special Scholarships.
Here is the link for both types of scholarships: https://fmcic.ca/scholarships/
CHURCHES IN TRANSITION
Caistor Centre FMC, Caistor Centre, ON
Centennial Chapel FMC, Kamloops, BC
Marmora FMC, Marmora, ON
Odessa FMC, Odessa, ON
Thunder Bay Free Methodist Church, Thunder Bay, ON
Warkworth FMC, Warkworth, ON
Church Profiles available
Contact Susan DePlanché in the Leadership Development Office to request a church profile – [email protected] or 289-228-1225 (deadline to apply in brackets)
Asbury FMC, Perth, ON (May 29)
Madoc Wesleyan/Free Methodist Church, Madoc, ON (May 29)
Melfort FMC, Melfort, SK (June 12)
(If you are interested in seeing the profile for any of these churches, please contact Susan in the Leadership Development Office [[email protected] or 289-228-1225] and the profile will be emailed to you as soon as it becomes available.)
Athens FMC, Athens, ON (Angel Valentin-Transition Pastor)
Dunnville FMC, Dunnville, ON (Tom Gurnick – Interim Pastor)
Grapeview FMC, St. Catharines, ON (Dan Sheffield – Transition Pastor)
Richmond Hill Chinese & English Churches, Richmond Hill, ON
West Springs FMC, Calgary, AB
Weyburn FMC, Weyburn, SK
PASTORS IN TRANSITION
Youth Pastor – Malvern Methodist Church
Summer Intern – Wawota FM Church
Worship Coordinator – Arlington Woods Free Methodist Church
Office Administrator – Arlington Woods Free Methodist Church